Geography, Topography, and History
The Township of Windham†is located in the northeastern pocket of Bradford County. Windham is bound to the north by Tioga County, NY to the east by Warren Township, to the south by Orwell and Rome Township, and to the west by Litchfield Township. Windham has several creeks that flow throughout it including: the Wysox Creek, Trout Brook, Wappasenning Creek, and Little Falls Creek. State Route 187 is the only major thoroughfare that travels through the township in the north and south directions. Other state roads include: Caddis Road, Battle Creek, and Cotton Hollow.
Windham Township was officially formed in 1813, taken from Orwell and Rush Townships. The name originates from Windham County, CT. In 1800, Thomas Fox was the first settler to arrive in the Township. In 1808, Darius Brainard built the first framed house in the Township.
Local Government and Current Data
The Township of Windham has†three elected supervisors that serve on the governing board for the Township. The Township also employs a secretary. Windham Township has chosen not to organize a planning commission, comprehensive plan, and zoning regulations. The County Office of Planning and Grants handles all cases of subdivisions and land developments.
The Township of Windham has a few churches located within its boundaries. They include the Windham Summit Union Church, the Windham Center Community Church, and a United Methodist Church.